Monday, September 5, 2011

Bye Bye, Baggot Street Boobies

Friday night I had a fantastic girls' night out with a few ladies I met at my local breastfeeding support group. I've only known them since Liam's been born but I think you tend to get quite close to people going through the same big life events right along with you.

Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without these wonderful women. I started going to the clinic when L was 3 weeks old and in a sleep-deprived haze (me, not him). I continued to go to the group on the first and third Wednesday of every month and would look forward to seeing my new friends. Eventually (when we got braver) we started going for coffee after the group. Our favorite spot was a posh hotel just behind the clinic (The Dylan). They made a great mocha (and didn't mind us nursing in public)!

When L was 3 months old JDS left for a fellowship at the Irish College in Paris; a three month obligation, where our new little family would be split apart (what were we thinking!?). During this time these friends were invaluable. They had their own babies to worry about but would still lend an ear when I was having a particularly difficult day. I swear Liam and I wouldn't have survived without them!

Many of them returned to work after the new year and I hoped we'd still manage to stay friends. I am happy to report that we have, and I truly believe I will count these women as some of my best friends for a very long time. I look forward to watching their children grow up, as I've come to love them like nieces and nephews.

Saying goodbye to friends like this is not easy. We've been through a lot together! Seen one another at our worst. Seen each others boobs! How mush closer can you get? I sincerely hope to keep in touch - through facebook, email, whatever.

Thanks for the support, and most of all, thanks for the memories.

L to R: Sinead, me, Una, Catherine, Alison. 
Not pictured: Jenny, Melissa, Aoife & Paula


Sinead, me & Una


Catherine & Alison

P.S. We totally had a cocktail at The Dylan before we went to out to dinner. I have to say it was nice not to have a screaming baby to tend to!

No comments:

Post a Comment