Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Book I Can't Get Out of my Mind

I read Room ages ago. Like, between six months and a year ago (And I'm always reading, it's part of my bed-time routine. Ha!). And I still think about it all the time. When I picked it up from the shelf at Hodges Figgus I thought "Hmm... how is a book written in the voice of a 5 year old going to work?" I was a little skeptical, but intrigued at the concept of a mother and son living in a small room with no windows or access to the outside world. "WHY?" I thought. I had to read it just to find out. And I'll admit that when I started reading it, I assumed the mother was just a social weirdo inflicting her fears of the world upon her young son. What makes the book fascinating to me is that Emma Donoghue not only writes successfully from the point of view of a young boy, but one who has no knowledge of anything outside the four walls in which he lives. Another quality that made the book five stars in my eyes was that she goes beyond where she could have easily ended the story. For once I was actually satisfied with the ending of a book (though I still miss the characters, I always do. I feel like they are like old friends by the time I'm done with books I love). I'll probably be reading it again soon.  Go read it if you have not done so already! And if you have, what were your thoughts?



Currently about half-way though The Slap, by Christos Tsiolkas. I'll let you know what I thought of it when I'm finished.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Having a nice sit down and a leisurely look at your blog! I loved Room too, I think I read it about 6 months (ish) ago too. I always 'miss' characters from books I love too...

    ReplyDelete