Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Book Review: The Slap

I finished this book a few days ago and am still trying to decide how I feel about The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas. The plot revolves around a man who slapped a child who was not his own at a barbecue. The author gives you insight and stories of the people most effected by what happened: the child's mother and father, the hosts of the barbecue, and the teens who mind the child (who also attended the party). I felt the book was kind of depressing. I didn't really like any of the characters. It certainly highlights the fact that we're all human and make mistakes. Some realize those mistakes and try to rectify them and others willfully defend their actions. I don't recommend  the book if strong language makes you uncomfortable - it can get a little vulgar at times using the ugly c-word and every other swear word known to man. I got used to it after a while, but I have a friend who had to stop reading because it bothered her.

I do have to say it was an interesting read. But is this really an accurate depiction of the modern family? I'd say it's a bit extreme.

Would I recommend it? Yes. It is well written and the story itself is different enough to make you want to keep reading. Have you read it? What were your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment